Wednesday, July 29, 2009

seattle heat wave

Morning All,

What a crazy few weeks it's been. Right after my last post we celebrated my little sisters 18th birthday (Happy Birthday again little girl!), the husband finished the shed at my mom's and then my mom & grandparents decided to have a garage sale.

THE MOVE:
Amongst all that excitement, we were getting ready to move. Not a far move, just across the sidewalk courtyard actually. Forty-five steps if I counted correctly. It's just a little bit more per month for about two-hundred additional square feet. Talk about a steal of a deal. We made the move this Monday, though we have/had until the 31st to get all the way out, the husband wanted to do it in one fell swoop. Looking back now I'm glad we did it all in one day, especially considering the heat since then.

Yesterday just about completed the unpacking, the bathroom, bedroom & kitchen are unpacked and useable & functionable now and the living room is coming together nicely with the exception of the media center causing the husband some trouble. Not to mention me causing him chaos regarding the placement of picture frames.

However my craft area is looking like a hurricane hit it. There are paints and fabric swatches littering the table and drawers strewn about... it's really quite a mess. Though I've decided from the moment I'm back from the gym Monday morning to when it's 100% completed it'll be the only thing I work on.

THE HEAT:
When I drove down to the bakery about an hour ago my car said it was eighty-three degrees outside which actually means it's about seventy-eight. But even time the door swings open I catch some of that warm air and I'm thinking it's gone up quite a bit since I've been in the lovely air conditioned bakery. Ooh, the reason I'm here isn't because I'm working, it's simply because our tv & internet provider can't get out to our apartment to reconnect whatever is needed until next Friday... So I was "borrowing" wifi from our lovely neighbors (Not stealing! - I was planning on baking them some cookies as a thank you later...) when suddenly it cut out. Unfortunately for me they're the only ones with an unprotected network, unforuntatly for them it's wayyyy too hott for me to bake cookies today.

I've found out that though I think I can handle heat and higher humidity, in actuality I can't. I'm miserable. I only like to sweat when I'm burning some calories and not when I'm merely hanging photo frames.

Though I've haven't written about it yet, here are some photos of green beans & chives at our old apartment, these were taken about 6 weeks ago:

I have more plants now, some sunflowers, roma tomatoes, wild flowers, moon flowers and some oregano but no photos yet. I promise I will take some as soon as it cools off around here.

Monday, the day we moved, it was ninety-seven at two in the afternoon, needless to say we took a break from moving things from the old apartment to the new and just stayed in and unpacked a little but my poor plants... they burned. I mean litterally burned. The leaves look like they've been set on fire. Our previous apartment faced the North and was shielded somewhat from the East but our new one faces the South and is shielded a bit from the West but gets a large amount of morning sun and doesn't get a break until about 5pm. Finally, yesterday I got a dark sheet out and drapped it across the balcony and put all the plants underneath; our poor neighbors probably think we're hillbillies drying our sheets on the porch :) I've also been setting a timer every ninety-minutes to remind myself to check on the poor plants to make sure they're not drying out. Monday I checked them in the morning aruond 8:30am and the soil was dry so I watered them A LOT and by 11:30 when we took a mini-break to rehydrate, my plants needing some rehydration too. So far checking every ninety minutes seems to keep them somewhat happy.. as happy as plants with burnt leaves can be... Speaking of which, I should probably head some to my internet-less apartment and check on those babies!

For all you in the Northwest experiencing this temperature change, good luck to you - keep watering your plants and YOUR SELF! :) Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment