Monday, July 13, 2009

first post: 100 facts/thoughts

I decided for my first post I would start out by doing something I first read on julieree's blog. I thought it would be a good get-to-know-me/intro start to things.. I had some trouble (as you can probably tell so I used julieree as a begining inspiration. enjoy!

I'm Denise.
I do not like my name.
I've always wished I was named Gwyn.
I love Seattle but wish I grew up somewhere else.

My husband is from Kansas.
I think the entire state is beautiful; flowing fields of nothingness.
Not to mention the giant, overgrown yellow + orange sunflowers = b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.
Sunflowers are my favorite flowers.

I miss spending time with my little sister.
She's getting ready for her move to college so she's a very busy girl these days.
I'm working on a special little project for her dorm room. Shhh.. Don’t tell ;)
Though she's on her way to her Bachelors, she'll always be the little girl I used to build pillow forts with.

I would like to cook all day long.
As long as I had someone to clean up my dishes.
& do all my shopping.

I hate laundry.
I don't hate the laundry room itself; the hate begins when the clean clothes are in the basket to be put away/folded/hung up.
I despise that part. Thankfully I have a husband who knows of this hatred and does his best to help me through it.

I would like to open my own cafe someday.
I foresee walls of bookcases stuffed with books about art, history, music & chic lit (guilty pleasure).
Comfy couches and chairs are a must.
I would like a rocking chair or two.

Rocking chairs are always somewhat nostalgic to me.
I think because I can remember my mom sitting in one with both my sister & I on her lap.
Or maybe I just imagine that happening because my mothers always had her rocking chair in her room.

I would like to plan weddings.
I enjoyed planning mine.
But I think I would have difficulty with my customers.
I would need customers like myself, who like diy projects and unique, crafty elements which add a more personal touch to their day of all days.
Not customers who are willing to spend four thousand dollars on floral arrangements.
I would feel the need to flick their forehands.

I don't like how numbers look in writing.
For example, above I first typed "...spend $4,000..." and went back to change it.
Maybe it's because it seems nonsensical to have the "$" prior to the number/amount.
Shouldn't it be 4,000$? I think so, since that's actually how you read it...

I save twenty-five dollars a week and put it into a piggy bank (really) with brochure clippings hodge-podged to it.
The brochure, before it was destroyed was from an Africa safari tour company.
I'm saving the money so that by my thirtieth birthday we will have saved enough for an African safari.
We wanted to do this for our honeymoon (the safari, not the saving part) but thought we might just like to relax & sip pina coladas beachfront.
Anyhow, I'm so ready to turn thirty!

I wished my parents listened to music when I was growing up.
Well, music other than Christian soft-rock.
Everything I now know about music before my time is thanks to Wikipedia, my husband's parents and that one music history class I took ages ago.

I love antiques.
Let me rephrase that; I love some antiques.
I don't like pot holders from the sixties with stains burnt in that cost sixteen dollars.
Seems ridiculous.
I do like vintage jadeite dishes and furniture with worn paint and glass drawer pulls.
I like antique shopping by myself.
Maybe that’s just because I haven't met anyone else who likes going as much as I do.
(If you like antique shopping and live in the Seattle area, we should be friends.)

This is how the husband thift store shops... by finding a chair and taking a seat.

I enjoy gardening.
It intrigues me that with some tlc, sunshine and water something so small can become a beautiful flower.

Cooking has that same effect on me.
I love how mixing a series of ingredients can create a yummy treat.
Salad dressing and sauces are something I would love to learn more about/research.
We have an amazing balsamic dressing at work and the way the kitchen smells once the grouchy chef is finished with the dressing is a sweet, spicy smell you can't get out of your head.

I'm not a plain Jane.
At least I don't think of myself as one.
I like jewelry + make up, new clothes and high heels.
I'm crafty and creative but I like to splurge once in a while.
I just bought some new eyeliner but I don't know why.
Whenever I buy eyeliner I tell myself I'm going to use it & look fabulous...
...but what happens is I don’t use it. And if/when I do, I don’t like how it looks.
Maybe I'll give it to sissy...

I like two wines. That's it.. So far.
A blackberry merlot that tastes like the grape juice you get at church communion. (yum!)
& a Riesling. That, as far as I know, you can only get at one place around here: the
DiamondKnot.

I just upholstered a new headboard for me and the husband.
I'll write about it later (& add pictures).
I love our bedroom now, it adds so much personality!

I can't wait for the low tide. I promise I'll blog about that too.
It's amazing in Edmonds when the tide is about - three feet.
You can actually walk underneath the ferry dock.
Sometimes they have to cancel ferry runs because the boats will get beached.
You can see all the barnacles and beachlife living below the dock.
Starfish, sea urchins and sea cucumbers...
I imagine it's the closest I'll ever get to being a mermaid.

Ike (our cat) is so full of personality.
I get up out of the computer chair, which is nothing special, it's just a old chair the husband brought home from work when theirs were all replaced; and within the amount of time it takes me to pour a refill in my coffee cup, Ike's curled up in my chair.
Maybe he just likes my butt indentation... ;)
I love in the morning when hubby leaves for work; Ike seems to know I'm a little lonely and comes into to snuggle with me in bed.
...If only he could come to snuggle with a cup of coffee in hand/paw.

Here's a photo of Ike-a-roo. Look at those huge green eyes! I swear if he was a person he'd be a model.

Perhaps we should explore the world of cat modeling... ;)


I want some new boots.
I bought some suede ones at Nordstrom that are pretty cute but somehow I've mushed up the cardboard backing to the heel and it's not as comfy..
Maybe I can look for some actually cowboy boots next shopping trip...
Ooh and a white well fitting dress.. How cute, light & summery would that look :)

I love dresses + scarves. I don't like much bright color with my clothing.
I tend to go for the neutrals and add color by a scarf.
For example, I love my navy dress with the embroidered flowers on top with the suede boots.
But I love my bright pink scarf with it all even more.

I enjoy making soups, stews & chili’s.
Especially when the husband helps.
He's great in the kitchen and actually the reason why I dove into cooking.
I never used to cook but when we were dating he'd make me fabulous dinners...
Like shrimp Alfredo with from-scratch alfredo sauce and noodles! And homemade chicken noodle soup when I was sick.
When we got engaged I realized soon we'd be married and I knew how to make a killer grilled cheese and some yummy French toast.
I figured I'd better learn another thing or two... I went to Barnes & Noble to look over they're cookbooks and I found
Heidi Swansons book, Super Natural Cooking, first cookbook I ever bought by the way.
And so began my interest/obsession with cooking + baking.

Thank for bearing with my thus far and learning about me.
Please, enjoy my blog.
Leave comments/feedback.
And if your local and enjoy antiques like I do, let's go shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment